Home > About > Bureaus and Offices > Consumer Affairs and Dispute Resolution Services > Documentation, Insurance, and Customs Requirements

Documentation, Insurance, and Customs Requirements

On this page


  • Obtain receipts from both your mover and the trucking company that picks up your household goods for shipment.
  • These receipts should identify the name and address of the mover and trucking company.
  • If there is a problem, it will be easier to locate your shipment.
  • If you are shipping a vehicle, make sure that you maintain a copy of your vehicle title if you are asked to submit your vehicle title for customs clearance.


  • Because federal law may limit your mover’s liability for loss or damage to your goods, obtaining insurance is a good way to protect against loss or damage to your goods.
  • Review the terms and conditions of the insurance offered, as some policies only provide protection in the case of total loss of a vessel. Under such policies, routine damage to goods that occur in transit may not be covered.
  • Marine insurance policies are usually provided by third parties, not your mover.
  • Request a copy of any marine insurance policy that has been purchased on your behalf.
  • Although unusual, another option for insuring your overseas shipment may be your existing home owner’s or renter’s policy. Check your policy to see if it provides protection against loss or damage of your goods during an international move.

Customs Requirements

  • International moves of certain personal effects and/or vehicles may require customs clearance in the U.S. and at destination.
  • Research requirements prior to moving.
  • Ask the mover if it provides customs clearance services as part of its shipping services as well as the cost for such services.
  • Obtain additional information regarding US customs requirements.