How to Apply for a PVO Certificate

A PVO must obtain an FMC-issued Performance and Casualty Certificates evidencing financial responsibility before advertising or booking passengers on a cruise embarking passengers at U.S. ports.

Application Process

  1. An application for a performance certificate must be submitted at least 60 days in advance of arranging, offering, advertising or providing any water transportation or tickets for a cruise embarking passengers from U.S. ports (whichever is earlier). An application for a casualty certificate must be submitted at least 60 days prior to sailing from a U.S. port.
  2. To apply for either certificate, submit Form FMC-131: Application for Certificate of Financial Responsibility, to the Commission with the appropriate fee for a Performance Certificate and/or the appropriate fee for a Casualty Certificate. Make your check payable to the Federal Maritime Commission.
  3. Applications may be hand-delivered during normal Commission business hours, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, or mailed to: Secretary, Federal Maritime Commission, Room 1046, 800 North Capitol Street, NW, Washington, DC 20573.
Due to a lapse in appropriations, the FMC's website may not be up to date after December 22, 2018. Applications and databases will not be available and links may not function properly. No transactions or filings will be accepted until appropriations legislation is enacted and the federal government reopens.

Contact Information

Office of Passenger Vessel and Information Processing

Phone: 202-523-5818

Fax: 202-566-5830


Related Links

Application for Certificate of Financial Responsibility (FMC-131)