Print BookmarkBookmark and Share

Filing a Complaint

There are three main avenues to filing a complaint with the FMC.  They are:

  • Using the OMBUDS/ADR Service:  This is the least formal form of filing a complaint.  If you are not sure  where to begin, click here.
  • Filing an Informal Complaint:   An informal complaint may be filed with the Commission for claims of $50,000 or less, and when an evidentiary hearing on disputed facts is not necessary. 
  • Filing A Formal Complaint:  A Formal Docket Complaint (formal complaint) may be filed with the Commission under Section 11 of the Shipping Act of 1984.