FMC Regulatory Reform
The FMC is engaged in a voluntary effort to provide regulatory reform consistent with Executive Order 13771, Reducing Regulations and Controlling Regulatory Costs (EO 13771) and Executive Order 13777, Enforcing the Regulatory Reform Agenda. Although as an independent regulatory agency the FMC is not required to comply with the recent regulatory reform executive orders, the Commission has undertaken its regulatory reform effort in the spirit of both EO 13771 and EO 13777.
On March 13, 2017, the FMC’s Acting Chairman Michael A. Khouri designated the agency’s Managing Director, Karen V. Gregory, to serve as Regulatory Reform Officer (RRO). The RRO established a Regulatory Reform Task Force (RRTF) comprised of 5 members, including the RRO. The RRTF has met regularly to implement the process identified in EO 13777 of evaluating existing FMC regulations and making recommendations regarding their repeal, replacement, or modification.
On May 24, 2017, the RRO publicly provided a report to the Commission on the progress of regulatory reform efforts. On May 26, 2017, the Commission solicited input from the public through a Notice of Inquiry (NOI), and received 41 public comments, which were considered along with the Commission’s priorities and timelines for regulatory reform.
Commission staff have worked steadily on regulatory reform initiatives since the NOI. The FMC’s Plan for Regulatory Reform of Existing FMC Rules documents the Commission’s actions and timelines for regulatory reform. All regulatory changes will require action by the Commission and may require rulemaking. The RRTF will continue to meet as reform efforts progress.
- May 3, 2019 – Commission Meeting Includes Vote to Update OTI Rules and Briefing on Carrier Alliances
- December 13, 2018 – Final Rule Addressing Unjust and Unreasonable Practices and Regulations Under Shipping Act Taking Effect
- September 19, 2018 – Commission Reviews Work on Fact Finding 28 & Regulatory Reform Initiative
- September 6, 2018 – FMC Seeks Comments on Interpretive Rule NPRM
- July 19, 2018 – Expanded Flexibility for Ocean Transportation Intermediaries Effective August 22, 2018
- January 12, 2018 – Commission Issues Regulatory Reform Priorities Plan
- March 13, 2017 – FMC Establishes Regulatory Reform Task Force