Hearings on Petition P4-16
The Federal Maritime Commission held hearings on Tuesday January 16, 2018 and Wednesday, January 17, 2018 to explore issues related to detention, demurrage, and per diem charges raised in a petition filed by the Coalition for Fair Port Practices (Petition P4-16).
The hearings took place in the Commission’s Main Hearing Room located on the ground floor of 800 North Capitol Street, Northwest, Washington, District of Columbia. Hearings are scheduled to commence at 10:00 a.m. on both days and interested members of the public are invited to attend in person.
The comment period has been extended to February 1, 2018.
The hearings were livestreamed and are available to view now on YouTube.
(Witness statements may be linked as they are available.)
DAY 1: Tuesday, January 16, 2018
Panel 1: Coalition Panel
Transcript from the Coalition Panel
- Karyn Booth, Esq., Partner, Thompson Hine, LLP
- Nick DiMichael, Esq., Senior Counsel, Thompson Hine, LLP
- Ms. Laura Crowe, Senior Director, Global Logistics, Walmart Stores
- Mr. Don Pisano, President, American Coffee Corporation
- Mr. Fred Johring, President, Golden State Express
- Mr. Robert Leef, Senior Vice President, East Region, ContainerPort Group, Inc., representing the Association of Bi-State Motor Carriers
- Mr. Alex Cherin, Executive Director, Englander, Knabe & Allen, representing the California Trucking Association Intermodal Conference
Panel 2: Shipper Panel
Transcript from the Shipper Panel
- Peter Friedmann, Esq., Executive Director, AgTC Agriculture Transportation Coalition
- Steven Hughes, President/CEO of HCS International, representing the Auto Care Association
- Mr. Sam J. Sorbello, President, Atlantic Coast Freezers, representing the Meat Import Council of America
- Mr. Tim Avanzato, Lanca Sales, Inc.
- Mr. Frans A. de Jong, President, R1 International (Americas) Inc.
Panel 3: Intermediary Panel
Transcript from the Intermediary Panel
- Mr. Richard J. Roche, Vice President of International Transportation, Mohawk Global Logistics, and NVOCC Sub-Committee Chairman at NCBFAA
- Mr. Charles Riley, Chairman, Board of Governors, New York New Jersey Foreign Freight Forwarders and Brokers Association, Inc. (NYNJFFFBA), and Vice President, Steer Company
- Ms. Jeanette Gioia, Vice President Exports, New York New Jersey Foreign Freight Forwarders and Brokers Association, Inc. (NYNJFFFBA), and President, Serra International, Inc.
- Cameron W. Roberts, Esq., representing Roberts & Kehagiaras LLP and the Foreign Trade Association
- Mr. Joseph T. Quinn, President, Sefco Export Management Company, Inc.
- Mr. Bryan Vickers, Pace LLP, representing the International Association of Movers
DAY 2: Wednesday, January 17, 2018
Panel 1: Drayage Panel
Transcript from Drayage Panel
- Mr. Thomas J. Adamski, representing the New Jersey Motor Truck Association
- Mr. William J. Shea, CEO, Direct ChassisLink, Inc.
Panel 2: Ocean Carrier Panel
Transcript from Ocean Carrier Panel
- Mr. Richard J. Craig, President and CEO, Mitsui O.S.K. Lines (America), Inc.
- Mr. Paolo Magnani, Executive Vice President for Quality Control and Marketing, Mediterranean Shipping Company USA
- Mr. Howard Finkel, Executive Vice President, COSCO Shipping Lines (North America), Inc.
- John Butler, Esq., President and CEO, World Shipping Council
Panel 3: Ports and Terminals Panel
Transcript from Ports and Terminals Panel