Non–Attorney Admission to Practice
The Following Groups and Individuals Do Not Require Admission Through Form FMC-12
- Attorneys admitted to practice in any state may practice before the Commission and should not apply to practice. (See 46 CFR § 502.26)
- If you do not intend to engage in general practice but merely intend to practice for a company of which you are an officer or regular employee, admission to practice is not necessary and will not be granted. (See 46 CFR § 502.27(e))
Instructions for Applying to Practice Before the Commission for Non-Attorneys :
Only non-attorneys must submit a completed Form FMC-12 package to be considered for and granted admission to practice before the Commission.
- Applicants should mail the following to the Office of the Secretary, Federal Maritime Commission, 800 North Capitol Street, N.W. Washington D.C. 20573
- Only complete packages will be considered. All questions must be answered in detail. If you require additional space, please attach a separate document with the numbered items.
- Please include complete addresses for your references and alert them that they will be contacted by FMC Staff.
- Please note that when you sign the application and the Addendum it is under penalty of perjury.
- Your application will only be evaluated after all information including: the completed Form FMC-12, a check for $206, a signed addendum and responses from your references have been received.
- If your application is denied, you will be informed of the reason(s) for denial.
- If your application is approved, you will receive a certificate granting admission to practice.
Office of the Secretary
Federal Maritime Commission
800 North Capitol Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20573