Federal Maritime Commission
Print BookmarkBookmark and Share

Consumer Affairs & Dispute Resolution Services

Do you have a problem with ocean shipping or a cruise? Consider resolving disputes in real time using the Office of Consumer Affairs & Dispute Resolution Services’ (CADRS) alternative dispute resolution services. With no fees for services, CADRS offers: ombuds assistance, mediation, facilitation, and arbitration to resolve challenges and disputes involving:

Parties Requesting CADRS Services

  • Shippers
  • NVOCCs and ocean freight forwarders
  • VOCCs
  • Cruise Operators and passengers
  • Truckers
  • Marine terminal operators (including port authorities)

For Dispute Resolution Services

Dispute Resolution Service Request - Cargo (FMC-33)

Dispute Resolution Service Request - Cruise (FMC-32)

Consultation and Outreach

CADRS offers presentations and training sessions on the use of negotiation and ADR to resolve commercial ocean shipping disputes and ocean shipping regulation as well as other and commercial matters. For more information on requesting CADRS consultation or training, please contact CADRS.

Request a Speaker

To request a CADRS staff member to speak at your next function please contact CADRS.

Contact Information

Phone: 202-523-5807

Toll Free (US only): 866-448-9586

Fax: 202-275-0059

E-mail: complaints@fmc.gov


Rebecca A. Fenneman

Rebecca A. Fenneman addressing the National Customs Brokers & Forwarders Association of America, Annual Conference, Palm Desert, CA, May, 2018.

Chairman's Statement on 2014 Mediation Week