Guidance on Renewals
OTI License Renewals
On November 4, 2015, the FMC voted to issue a final rule on ocean transportation intermediary (OTI) licensing and financial responsibility requirements. Except for the requirement to renew OTI licenses, the new rules became effective on December 9, 2015. The Commission is currently upgrading and testing its online processing systems to support the new renewal process.
The target start date for the new online process was anticipated to be December 9, 2016 but only when the necessary programming of the Commission’s computer systems had been completed and tested so that the on-line processing could be reliably activated.
The adjusted target start date is February 2017. The process will commence with emails to licensees who have a renewal date of May 2017, therefore it is important that licensees ensure the Commission has an up-to-date email address on file for this purpose. Licensees can provide updated email addresses to the Commission by sending an email with the preferred email address to email@example.com. The target date of February 2017 is subject to change and is dependent on the Commission’s system being completed and tested.
The license renewal date will be determined by the last and second to last digit of the license number. Additionally, the license renewal date will be posted on the OTI list. See the tables below for the renewal date schedule.
- Email notifications will be sent 90-days in advance to ensure the licensees are able to complete their renewal no later than 60-days prior to the renewal date as is required by 46 CFR 515.14 (d).
- The email notification will contain:
- a username,
- password, and
- a link to the renewal site.
- Once logged in, the licensee will have the option of self-completing the renewal or assigning the renewal to a third party (attorney or FMC practitioner).
- A pre-populated form FMC-18 with the data electronically received previously and currently on file with the Commission will be presented to the user to be confirmed or updated.
- There is no fee for license renewal.
- Renewal will not require "re-certification" of the licensee or the existing qualifying individual.
|FMC License number ending in:
||Must file by the last day of:
|Second to Last Digit of the FMC License:
|1, 2, 3
|4, 5, 6
|7, 8, 9, 0
Updates on the status of the OTI license renewal process and online system will be posted here.
Foreign-based Registered NVOCC Renewals
Non-U.S.-based NVOCCs are not required to obtain an FMC-issued license. If they choose to obtain an FMC-issued license, they should follow the renewal process outlined above.
Any foreign-based NVOCCs not licensed by the Commission is required to register with the Commission by completing a registration Form FMC-65 and submitting it to the Bureau of Certification and Licensing. Registrations are effective for a period of three (3) years.
Renewals will be completed using the online Form FMC-65. The first renewals will begin in August 2016. Registered NVOCCs will receive an email notice no more than 30 days prior to their renewal date with instructions on how to log into the online filing system. There is no fee for renewal.
How to Confirm Registration Renewal Dates: All foreign-based NVOCCs registered with the FMC to provide services in the U.S. foreign oceanborne trades, are listed on the FMC's Ocean Transportation Intermediaries (OTI) List. This List also includes the date by which each foreign registered NVOCC must renew its registration with the FMC.
Updates on the status of the renewal process and online form will be posted here.
Guidance on New Forms
The following forms were updated by the amended final rule on ocean transportation intermediary (OTI) licensing and financial responsibility requirements.
- Ocean Transportation Intermediary Bond (FMC-48)
- Optional Rider for Additional NVOCC Financial Responsibility (FMC-48A)
- Ocean Transportation Intermediary Group Bond Form (FMC-69)
- Optional Rider for Additional NVOCC Financial Responsibility for Group Bonds (FMC-69A)
The following are new forms for group financial responsibility
- Ocean Transportation Intermediary Insurance (FMC-67)
- Ocean Transportation Intermediary Guaranty (FMC-68)
Copies of the forms are available on our Forms and Applications page.
Who Can I Contact with Questions?
For questions on the renewal process:
For questions on the new forms: