Chairman’s Earth Day Award
About the Program:
Effective Feb. 10, 2016, the FMC Chairman’s Earth Day Award has been discontinued due to Congressional action authorizing funding for the Commission which specifically prohibits issuance of certain awards and citations.
The award recognized members of the maritime transportation industry for innovations and successes in developing environmentally sustainable shipping practices. Specifically, it highlighted technologies, programs, or practices of the maritime transportation industry that, through efficiency or innovation, benefit our environment. This was a non-monetary award, with no prize money or funding distributed to the award winner. Past winners have been presented with a commemorative plaque at Commission headquarters in Washington, DC.
The Chairman’s Earth Day Award was open to participants that met the following requirements:
- In the case of a private entity, shall be incorporated in and maintain a primary place of business in the United States.
- In the case of an individual, whether participating singly or in a group, shall be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Shall not be a Federal entity or Federal employee acting within the scope of their employment.
At the end of the submission period, eligible submissions were evaluated by members of the MEC based on the following criteria:
- Programs or practices that provide an environmental benefit or reduction in environmental harm, including but not limited to efforts that encourage a reduction in emissions or pollutants.
- Programs or practices that are sustainable and also serve as models for others to follow or replicate.
- Efforts that increase the public's awareness of the maritime transportation industry's efforts to protect the environment.
The Chairman reserves the right to cancel, suspend, and/or modify the award process, or any part of it, for any reason, at the Chairman’s sole discretion. No rights are created by this announcement, the award process, or the determination of the award, which will be decided at the sole discretion of the Chairman, based upon the recommendation of the MEC.
The award winner may not claim FMC or MEC endorsement. This award does not constitute an endorsement of a specific product, program or practice by the FMC, MEC, or the US Federal Government.
2015 Chairman’s Earth Day Award Recipient
Chairman Mario Cordero was pleased to present the 2015 Chairman’s Earth Day Award to Crowley Maritime Corporation. Crowley Maritime has sought to increase its corporate environmental stewardship by undertaking a number of initiatives across its lines of business, underscoring Crowley’s commitment to the environment.