Chairman’s Earth Day Award Nominations Open
March 11, 2015
Update: Deadline for submissions (originally March 14th) has been extended to March 30, 2015.
About the Program:
The FMC Chairman’s Earth Day Award recognizes members of the maritime transportation industry for innovations and successes in developing environmentally sustainable shipping practices. Specifically, this award is to highlight technologies, programs, or practices of the maritime transportation industry that, through efficiency or innovation, benefit our environment.
The Chairman’s Earth Day Award is open to participants that meet the following requirements:
- In the case of a private entity, shall be incorporated in and maintain a primary place of business in the United States.
- In the case of an individual, whether participating singly or in a group, shall be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Shall not be a Federal entity or Federal employee acting within the scope of their employment.
At the end of the submission period, eligible submissions will be evaluated by members of the MEC based on the following criteria:
- Programs or practices that provide an environmental benefit or reduction in environmental harm, including but not limited to efforts that encourage a reduction in emissions or pollutants.
- Programs or practices that are sustainable and also serve as models for others to follow or replicate.
- Efforts that increase the public's awareness of the maritime transportation industry's efforts to protect the environment.
Important Dates for this award are:
Submission Period Begins: October 8, 2014
Submission Period Ends:
March 14, 2015 March 30, 2015
Submissions should include:
- A title
- A description of the program or practice in either a:
- A 5-page maximum document, or
- A 10 slide maximum presentation
- Optional Material:
- A link to additional information on the program,
- Videos, or
Submit your nomination by email or mail:
FMC's Maritime Environmental Committee
Office of the Chairman
Federal Maritime Commission
800 North Capitol St. NW
Washington, DC 20573
At the end of the submission period, all eligible entries will be reviewed by members of the MEC. This is a non-monetary award and no prize money or funding will be distributed to the award winner. This is an award of recognition and past winners have been presented with a commemorative plaque at Commission headquarters in Washington, DC.
The Chairman reserves the right to cancel, suspend, and/or modify the award process, or any part of it, for any reason, at the Chairman’s sole discretion. No rights are created by this announcement, the award process, or the determination of the award, which will be decided at the sole discretion of the Chairman, based upon the recommendation of the MEC.
The award winner may not claim FMC or MEC endorsement. This award does not constitute an endorsement of a specific product, program or practice by the FMC, MEC, or the US Federal Government.
For more information about the FMC and the Chairman’s Earth Day Award, please contact the Office of the Chairman at 202-523-5733 or visit: http://www.fmc.gov/news/maritime_environmental_issues.aspx.