Celebrity Cruises’ Celebrity Millennium
September 26, 2013
Celebrity Cruises has notified the Commission that its vessel, Celebrity Millennium experienced issues with its propulsion engine that interrupted two sailings in August and required the cancelation of its August 23, 30 and September 6 and 13, 2013 sailings. The ship is expected to return to service with the September 22, 2013 sailing.
In a letter to Chairman Mario Cordero, Celebrity Cruises’ Vice President of Government Relations, Eleni P. Kalisch, stated "While we regret the disruption to our guests’ vacation plans, the safety of our guests and crew is always our highest priority. We greatly appreciate our guests’ understanding and cooperation throughout this difficult time and look forward to delivering the vacation experience they were expecting when they sail with us in the future."
Interrupted and Canceled Sailing Dates
• August 9, 2013 – interrupted
• August 16, 2013 interrupted
• August 23, 2013- canceled
• August 30, 2013 - canceled
• September 6, 2013 - canceled
• September 13, 2013 - canceled
Information for Passengers Booked on Interrupted and Canceled Cruises
Celebrity Cruises has informed the Commission that it will provide passengers of the interrupted cruises with the following:
Passengers onboard the August 9, 2013 sailing of Celebrity Millennium received:
- Passengers that chose to stay onboard and sail directly from Seward to Vancouver received a 100% refund for the cruise as well as a 100% Future Cruise Certificate.
- Passengers that chose to forego the cruise from Seward to Vancouver received a 100% refund of the cruise fare, a refund of travel change fees incurred to return home, and a 50% Future Cruise Certificate.
Passengers Booked on the August 16, 2013 sailing of Celebrity Millennium received:
- A 100% refund of the cruise fare and a 100% Future Cruise Certificate.
- Transportation from Ketchikan, Alaska via Chartered Aircraft to their next destination at the expense of Celebrity Cruises.
- Transportation home using charter flights to central airports of Anchorage, Seattle, or Vancouver.
- For passengers that had booked a Celebrity Cruisetour, complimentary transportation to their tour.
- Complimentary hotel rooms, for up to two nights in Seattle, Anchorage, or Vancouver. The cruise line also provided a Food & Beverage allowance of $75 per day, per person.
Passengers Booked on the August 23, 2013 sailing of Celebrity Millennium received:
- Passengers that had already arrived in Alaska for the August 23 sailing received a 100% refund of the cruise fare and a 100% Future Cruise Certificate.
- Passengers that had not yet left home received a 100% refund of the Cruise Fare and a 50% Future Cruise Certificate.
- Celebrity Cruisetour Guests received a 100% refund of the cruise fare and a 50% Future Cruise Certificate. Cruisetour costs were not refunded as the Cruisetour was able to be completed for guests on the cancelled sailing.
Passengers booked on the August 30, 2013, September 6, and 13, 2013 sailings have or will receive:
- Celebrity Cruisetour Guests received a 100% refund of the cruise fare and cruise tour and a Future Cruise Certificate for 25% of the cruise fare paid for the cruise (not including cruise tour).
- All other passengers received a 100% refund of the cruise fare and a Future Cruise Certificate for 25% of the cruise fare paid for the cruise.
In addition to refunds for the canceled ocean transportation, Celebrity Cruises announced the following refunds for air transportation:
- Celebrity Choice Air:
- Reimbursement of air change/cancelation fees up to $300 per person.
- Passengers with Choice Air bookings associated with the canceled sailings on the Celebrity Millennium may call 1-800-533-7803.
- Independent Air:
- Reimbursement of airline change fees of up to $200 per person.
- Passengers should send a copy of the receipt for the change fee along with a brief note that includes the passenger name, booking number, stateroom number, Celebrity Millennium, and sail date to the following address: Celebrity Cruises, Attn: Corporate Guest Relations-ML 2013, 1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL 33132-2096
- Airline Reward Points:
- For passengers that used airline reward points, in lieu of the airline change fee, Celebrity will provide a refund of up to $100 for any redeposit fee encountered.
Passengers booked on any of the canceled sailings that have questions or require additional information should contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-888-281-9343. Passengers calling from outside the United States may call 1-305-539-6000 (ext. 48846).
Passengers that have additional questions or concerns can contact the Commission’s Office of Consumer Affairs & Dispute Resolution Services at 202-523-5807 or firstname.lastname@example.org.